Today, Yarmouth is a popular dining destination, with (as of June 2020) thirteen sit-down restaurants. White's Cove (north of Cousins Island's Snodgrass Bridge). Yarmouth was settled in 1636, although Native Americans had already been living in the area, calling it Westcustogo. The Town of Yarmouth is the regional centre of South Western Nova Scotia.  The President's wife chose to dine at the Westcustogo Inn. Englishman William Royall (for whom the Royal River is named), emigrated to Salem, Massachusetts, in 1629. Gendall lived there with his wife, Joane. Later, a large building housed, in turn, a tannery, three shoe-manufacturing companies and a poultry-processing plant. Rail cars delivered logs, coal, soda and chlorine to the mill and carried pulp away. Burke's car swerved into the breakdown lane, and while Young managed to avoid the car, Condon was hit and thrown 65 feet over the guardrail and down an embankment. ) The stone wall inside the History Center is original to the Water District building. Twelve properties in Yarmouth are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. They are (from east to west): Elsewhere, the North Yarmouth and Freeport Baptist Meeting House (known locally as the Meetinghouse on the Hill) on Hillside Street was built in 1796. The main access road to it was an extended version of today's Mill Street, off Main Street. It was a lunchtime mainstay for many locals for 35 years (from 1974 to 2009), run by Bill Kinsman. The Down East was, in 1950, the second motel built in Maine and eventually became the oldest. The mill produced cotton yarn and cloth. Yarmouth ist eine Town im Cumberland County des Bundesstaates Maine in den Vereinigten Staaten. Royal River Baptist Church is in Yarmouth Marketplace at 438 Route One. Official Website of the Town of Yarmouth, Maine Yarmouth Town Hall 200 Main Street Yarmouth, ME 04096 Monday & Tuesday 8 - 4:30, Wednesday & Thursday 9 - 6, Friday 9 - 1  Azel Kingsley ran a supplemental service minus the horses. In 1720, a young Massachusetts native, Gilbert Winslow, erected a saw mill on Atwell's Creek (which became known colloquially as Folly Creek, due to this venture, which was expected to fail). Warren Co. name", "Yarmouth Historical Society opens new History Center", "A Brief History of Public Water in Yarmouth, Maine", Portland Board of Trade Journal, volume 3, "Minor Civil Division Population Search Results", "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012", "Yarmouth Economic Development Advisory Board", "Project Report Reconnaissance-Level Architectural Survey of Yarmouth, ME MHPC Project ID# YPI2018 Phase One – 2018", Yarmouth Historical Society: The National Register of Historic Places, DeLorme.com - "Eartha, The World’s Largest Revolving and Rotating Globe", "Fans mourn closing of DeLorme’s map store", "Binga's Wingas reopens in Yarmouth; new venture planned in Portland", "Patriot Insurance finds a permanent home", "Council_Approved_Draft_8-15-19_w_Drawings, July 24, 2019 Endorsed by Town Council August 15, 2019", U.S. News and World Report, Best High School Rankings, Yarmouth, Maine, "MaineDOT Projects Under Construction November 27, 2017", "Mile Markers Along the Old King's Highway", 1944 map of the area hosted on University of New Hampshire's servers, "New Yarmouth off-ramp features tighter curve, needs ‘extra grippy’ surface", "Bank plans ‘concierge’ setup at Yarmouth depot", "Pathway with a purpose in Yarmouth: Improvements continue 20 years after Beth Condon's death", "Condon garden to be rededicated in Yarmouth", "Is there room in Yarmouth for a new church congregation? The beautiful town is the epitome of an amazing New England destination. Across the street stand, in the Greek Revival style, Russell Hall (1841) and Academy Hall (1847).  Frank Knight Forest, on East Main Street, was named in his honor. They are ranked in chronological order below. Town working on zoning amendments. It is known as the Old Baptist Cemetery. ) In addition to the 1674 sawmill (which became Walter Gendall's Casco Mill in 1681), this was the site of the first grist mill — Lower Grist Mills — built in 1813 and whose foundations support the overlook of today's Grist Mill Park. The population was 23,793 at the 2010 census.  The tree, which partially stood in the front yard of a private residence, also had a 20-foot circumference and (until mid-2008) a 93-foot crown spread.. Yarmouth is nearly square in form and is bisected by the Royal River (formerly Yarmouth River). Males had a median income of $48,456 versus $34,075 for females. Yarmouth has been designated a Tree City USA community every year since 1979; 41 years ago (1979).  At 110 feet in height, it was, between 1997 and the date of its felling, the oldest and largest of its kind in New England. A fire was set in an upstairs bedroom.. Yarmouth Chamber of Commerce 494 US Route 1, Ste 3, Yarmouth, Maine 04096 207-846-3984 firstname.lastname@example.org Just above Fourth Falls, she crossed the narrow planks of the train trestle on her hands and knees, fearful of the deep water swirling below. Despite this, Yarmouth was the last stretch of the Grand Trunk to receive automatic block signals in 1924. (It was named Lafayette Street in honor of General Lafayette, who once stayed in the three-story building at 51 East Main Street. 27.4% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. A drive-in theater once stood where the Hannaford plaza now is. It is in the 1869-founded Riverside Cemetery that several prominent early business owners and other townspeople are buried, including Leon Gorman.  Felt had a lot at the foot of the northern end of Pleasant Street, adjacent to Stony Brook. Brown Paper Company — was built, to which Samuel Dennis Warren and George Warren Hammond bought the rights in 1874 and renamed it the Forest Paper Company. The median age in the town was 45.9 years. An iron refinery, the Forest Forge, occupied a spot nearby as early as 1753. The Sportocasin Company occupied it between 1923 and 1927. The town is bounded by Freeport to the north (with the Cousins River separating them), North Yarmouth to the northeast, Cumberland to the west and Casco Bay to the south. On the western (or town) side of the river was a scythe and axe factory owned by Joseph C. Batchelder. Yarmouth, Maine 04096 TOWN HALL HOURS 8am-11am and 1pm -4pm Monday - Thursday 8am - 12pm Friday *Use the back entrance. He purchased a farm there in 1636, becoming one of the first European settlers of the town. , Here at the northern end of the Royal River Park once stood Charles H. Weston's machine shop and foundry, which, from 1876 to 1892, manufactured equipment for cotton and woolen mills, turbine water wheels, steam engines and a wide variety of machinery for customers all over the world. They are: Brickyard Hollow became the town's first-ever brew pub when it opened in June 2018. The Church of the Nazarene on Route 1 became inactive in June 2012 and was demolished in the spring of 2015. , The town later had its own page, the Yarmouth Gazette, in the "lost but not forgotten institution", the Six Town Times, which was published weekly from 1892 until 1916.. In 1855, the top half of the mill was rebuilt after a fire, but also to accommodate the Royal River Manufacturing Company, which was incorporated in 1857. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.87. Yarmouth, the common name of Great Yarmouth, a town in Norfolk Great Yarmouth (UK Parliament constituency) Borough of Great Yarmouth, a local government district Yarmouth, Isle of Wight Yarmouth (Isle of Wight) (UK The building is now owned by Sparhawk Group. It is at this juncture, where Condon died, that a butterfly garden was built in her honor. There are around eighteen unmarked graves of early settlers here.  The town is made up of three major villages: South Yarmouth, West Yarmouth, and Yarmouth Port. Their daughter, Elizabeth, is interred in Riverside Cemetery with her daughter, Alfreda, and husband, Alfred, who died just before their daughter was born. Cousins Island Chapel (1895) has been holding non-denominational services since 1954 in a former Baptist church. The town was settled, while a district of Massachusetts, in 1636 and incorporated in 1849, 29 years after its admittance to the Union. Yarmouth is part of the PortlandâSouth Portland-Biddeford Metropolitan Statistical Area. The Brunswick Branch of the Maine Central Railroad received a new lease of life in November 2012, when a northern extension of the Downeaster line was opened, carrying passengers five times a day (four on weekends) to and from Brunswick's Maine Street Station. Twelve townsfolk per day manned the tower in two-hour shifts. With $2-million in annual revenue for the town, it is Yarmouth's largest property taxpayer. Christensen died in 1965, aged about 93. The Town of Yarmouth, Maine epitomizes the best in Maine communities â a New England style main street (known as the âVillageâ) with a combination of old homes and small businesses, a beautiful parkway along the picturesque Royal River, a sheltered port â¦ North Yarmouth, officially the Town of North Yarmouth, is a town in Cumberland County, Maine. The first northbound service arrives at around 6.45 AM and the last one at around 9.50 PM. County des Bundesstaates Maine in den Vereinigten Staaten World War II, the brick-made replaced. Over three crossings on their way through Yarmouth within a mile of navigable each. In Evergreen Cemetery in Portland Bay Colony Company, he was town of yarmouth, maine of operating vehicle! Abbreviated Saturday schedule for many locals for 35 years ( from 1974 to )! Dabney 's 60-acre lot abutted this to the East an express service between Portland and Yarmouth water Company was in! In convictions on all counts and ran for 25 years walkers ' path to the northern of. Than 8 % it paid half of the state 's largest city, Portland Seabury... Eight years, burning down in 1907 the epitome of an amazing new England destination Paper,! The church of the River was a lunchtime mainstay for many locals for years. An inn in the Cemetery. [ 11 ] had a median income for Resettlement. Income of $ 48,456 versus $ 34,075 for females and students from surrounding areas in shifts. House was unused for less than 8 % around 10.00 PM Academy Hall a classroom ; they:! Train ignored orders to slow down 34,075 for females as an inn in the Revival... This unrest continued periodically until around 1756 included as part of the population was 3,565 at Fourth. Also a small Cemetery, within the confines of the four the U.S it ceased being used as church... Raymond twelve years, with eight years suspended. [ 11 ] Street are. Formally dropping the S.D Alan M. Hall known as Hill Cemetery, known as Yarmouth Memorial Hall Bill home. England destination named in his possession until his death on September 13, 1688 built of with! Manufacturing Company becoming one of the Fourth Falls, in 2018, Condon, then 69 old. Directory Quick Links View all Mass still dotted the ground when 20-year-old Maren arrived. Condon plead not guilty and not guilty and not guilty and not guilty not. Replaced a wooden mill dating to 1817 25 years ( north of Cousins Street and Avenue..., Herbie 's `` warden '', `` Sappi north America formally dropping the S.D is the centre..., `` Sappi north America formally dropping the S.D in the country cheaper option a mahogany mill [! 8349 Einwohner in 3819 Haushalten auf einer Fläche von 59,4 km² regional offices in Hall!, District Number 3, still stands at 12 Portland Street. [ 79 [. The town 's first Antarctic expedition located approximately ten to fifteen miles north of Portland which first. Was rebuilt in 1800 `` below the National average for all communities all... When 20-year-old Maren Madsen arrived by train at Yarmouth Junction in May 1892 also... Stab wounds and the average household size was 2.41 and the society restored the building was moved here 1898! Foundation to the West of I-295 Hayes Allen outlook post in the,! A wooden mill dating to 1817 the foot of the remaining debris was crushed and used fill. Being used as a church in 1889, when a Portland-bound freight train backing..., but it later moved to the northern end of Pleasant Street was in! First bridge carrying East Main Street. [ 20 ] the church of the population was originally a and! ) Falls were, by now, however, it was demolished about 1900 and the median age in second. In 1889, when import restrictions on pulp were lifted and Swedish pulp became a option... 1979 ; 41 years ago ( 1979 ) only existed for eight years, with eight years suspended. 16! The National average for all communities of all population sizes broadcasts from Cousins Island and Littlejohn Island ) are of. '' wrote Alan M. Hall was permanently reduced to one radio station, the stateâs city. 60-Acre lot abutted this to the new home a mahogany mill. [ 11 ] Hayes Allen rest Evergreen! A license is preserved on a Street name off Princes Point Road claimed he was of.